How to Run Effective Daily Marketing Standup Meetings
Running daily marketing meetings can have a major positive impact on your marketing team. During these short meetings team members gather to share updates, discuss challenges, collaborate on projects, and plan their day. These meetings help ensure that the marketing team is aligned and working towards common goals.
Learning to hold effective daily meetings is both an art and a science. In fact, a study shows that after senior executives rethought meeting strategies and approaches, there were notable improvements such as a 42% increase in team collaboration and a 32% increase in the feeling to speak up and express opinions.
What is a standup meeting?
A standup meeting is a daily short meeting that is held with all members of the marketing team. The daily standup meeting should address these 3 main questions:
- What did you do yesterday?
- What will you accomplish today?
- Is there anything blocking you from what you're working on?
How do marketing teams benefit from daily standup meetings?
- Collaboration: Most importantly, collaboration among team members, provides an opportunity for team members to brainstorm and share ideas, which can lead to better project outcomes.
- Motivation: Daily meetings can help to keep team members motivated and engaged. It allows for the recognition of successes and can help team members feel more invested in their work.
- Communication: An outlet for open communication encourages the team to share updates, challenges, and successes. It also ensures team members are on the same page regarding ongoing projects and tasks.
- Accountability: Standup meetings allow the team to discuss progress and hold each other accountable for completing tasks on time. This can help keep projects on track and prevent delays.
Tips to run more effective meetings daily standups.
Keep it short and sweet
Marketing standup meetings should be short and focused, lasting no more than 15 minutes. This helps to ensure that team members stay focused and engaged throughout the meeting. Standup meetings should not take up too much time of the work day or hinder other deadlines.
Pick a time and stick with it
Establishing a regular time and place for the daily standup meetings is key for commitment and consistency. This also helps to establish a routine and creates a sense of structure and places team members on the same page.
Use a structured agenda
Using a structured agenda for the standup meetings keeps the team on track and ensures that important topics are covered. The agenda should include updates on ongoing projects, any roadblocks or challenges, and priorities for the day ahead.
It's important to encourage participation from all team members during the standup meetings. Try asking open-ended questions, actively listening to team members, and creating a safe and supportive environment where team members feel comfortable sharing their ideas and concerns.
Focus on the team
The focus of the standup meetings should be on the team and their collective progress toward achieving their goals. This helps to foster a sense of collaboration and teamwork and ensures that the team is working together towards a common objective.
Use technology to your advantage
Technology can be a powerful tool for facilitating effective standup meetings. For example, you can use video conferencing software to hold virtual meetings or use collaborative tools like ClickUp or Asana to manage projects and tasks.
Overall running effective daily marketing standup meetings can help to keep the team aligned, focused, and working towards common goals. By keeping the meetings short and focused, establishing a regular time and place, using a structured agenda, encouraging participation, keeping the focus on the team, and using technology to your advantage, you can ensure that your team is set up for success. Need help building your marketing team and setting them up for success? Talk to us and we can help!